June 30, 2021
Invisalign VS Traditional Braces
Straightening your teeth is the best decision you can make as someone who desires to live a happy and fulfilled life.
Here is why
- It improves your general look, thus raising your self-esteem
- Straightening your teeth enhances blood flow, resulting in healthier gums and reduced avenues for bacteria to survive.
- It makes it easier to properly clean the teeth, making it difficult for harmful bacteria to survive
- Straightening your teeth help fight other diseases such as heart disease and stroke
There are various methods used in straightening crooked teeth, such as traditional braces, Invisalign, surgery, and growth modification.
This post compares two of the most common treatment methods: the Invisalign and the conventional braces.
Invisalign treatment entails the usage of virtually invisible transparent aligners to correct misaligned teeth. On the other hand, a traditional brace is a treatment method that involves using metal brackets fixed on the front surface of the teeth.
Which Is Better, Invisalign or Traditional Braces?
First, it’s essential to understand that no method between the two works better than the other. The truth is these treatment methods work differently to align crooked teeth. Your homework, therefore, lies in understanding how each process works.
These braces are made using brackets and archwires. Once fitted over the teeth, the archwires help treat misalignment by exerting gentle continuous pressure on the frames, moving the crooked teeth over time.
Treatment through this method entails tightening and adjusting the wires to acquire the needed teeth posture. Traditional braces are effective in correcting overbite, underbite, and crossbite issues. It takes approximately two years for someone wearing these braces to get their teeth to the preferred position.
Advantages of Traditional Braces
- They are durable and can last you for the longest time with proper care
- Unlike their counterparts, they can treat a wide variety of dental problems.
Limitations of Traditional Braces
- They are less appealing as they lie visibly on each teeth
- Traditional braces require regular adjusting, which is inconveniencing to most busy people and school-going children
- It makes cleaning some parts of your teeth difficult
- They restrict taking in some foods and drinks, especially those that increase cavities.
This method entails using removable, custom-made smooth plastic aligners to straighten the misaligned teeth. The set of aligners are changed after every two weeks until the teeth get back to their preferred position.
It may take you approximately 6 to 18 weeks to get your teeth to their proper position with this mode of treatment.
Advantages of Invisalign
- Minor irritation since they are made using plastic material
- They do not interfere with one’s beauty since they are invisible
- They do not interfere with one’s way of life as they can easily be removed when eating, brushing, and drinking.
- Invisalign enables one to maintain a high quality of oral health throughout treatment.
Limitations of Invisalign
- They cannot treat all types of dental issues, such as a severe overbite.
- Invisalign cannot work with too short and much-rotated teeth.
So, Which Method Is Good for You?
The appropriate method for you depends on several factors, such as the severity of your condition, your budget, preference, and your schedule. Before settling on any of the above methods, it is important to first visit a dentist for diagnosis and professional guidance on the way forward.
If you are in Salt Lake City, Utah, and desire to have a change in your oral health and dental presentation, consider visiting us at Genesis Dental for professional guidance and improved general quality of life.